Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Our little wilderness

I am going to try to type this without dry heaving.

This morning as I drug myself out of the house to go to the gym, I noticed a NASTY little present on our sidewalk--right by our front porch.

Some animal had mistaken our walkway for a restroom.

GAG!

I have spent the last 10 minutes researching animal scat (a much nicer word for animal poop that I learned from a wildlife studies major in college). It is hard to say for sure, but just as Josh suggested it really does resemble black bear scat more so than coyote.

Suddenly the snake seems a little less daunting and I am considering moving to an apartment on the top floor of the building.

Coyotes have been rampant around these parts lately . . . one of them took a little dog last week right out of its yard in the middle of the day. We see them running across the road into the woods from time to time and on a couple of occasions, Josh has seen them across the street from our house staring with their creepy, glowing eyes at night. (Insert shudder.)

We also have deer. One morning, I saw 6 in our neighbors driveway just hanging out. And a doe was munching on our bushes another time and looked quite annoyed at us for interrupting her when we pulled in the driveway.

But bears?! Seriously?!

I have always loved living near the woods . . . it feels like we are in the middle of nowhere, when in actuality, we are in the middle of everything. But all this wildlife is making me nervous and queasy. If I wanted to see a bear, I would go to the zoo, not out my front door.

Meanwhile, this whole post reminds me of the age old question, if a bear poops in the woods . . .

1 comment:

  1. I saw something the other night on TV about this family that loved birds and had all kinds of birdfeeders. To attract a certain kind of bird they put jelly in a little dish. One morning they went out and all the bird feeders had been vandalized ...just a mess! After it had happened several nights in a row the homeowner left the video out to find out who was doing it....and it was a BIG BLACK BEAR!!!
    Love, Mimi

    ReplyDelete