Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hurt Feelings

Well boo.

I am one of those people who HATES for anyone to be mad at them. I think that people pleasing might actually be what runs through my veins and NOT blood. There are obviously exceptions to this side of my personality, and, from time to time, I speak my mind to people other than Josh and my kids, but 99% of the time, I do anything and everything in my power to keep the peace.

(And yes, I know that this is one of those things that can be good or bad. And yes, I am working on boundaries and balance. And please don't be mad at me for being like this. Hahahaha.)

Anywho. Today, I found out that one of our neighbors (and I'm pretty certain I know who) called to complain about our dog barking last week.

Seriously, people, it was 10:15 in the morning and there were 2 city workers in the ditch right behind our house for a good 30 minutes. Had I KNOWN they were going to be there, I would have brought him in before they came, but once they got there, Tate was not leaving them alone.

(Which, by the way, is part of why we got a dog. To, you know, alert us when strangers were traipsing around our property. So, good boy, Tate.)

And, in my defense, I tried to bring him in, but he would have nothing of it. He kept running between me and the workers growling at them and trying to keep me back. (God love him.)

Once they left our house and moved on, I heard dogs a couple of streets away barking at the guys.

People, they are dogs. They bark.

Tate is never outside before 8:30 in the morning or after 8:30 at night and during the day, he is inside off and on depending on the weather and his and my mood. Of course he barks some, but we have a bark collar and he wears it 95% of the time when he is outside. (I would prefer no comments on that part. Josh and I argued over it a lot and our vet convinced me it was harmless and a good thing to keep neighbors happy.)

Of course, last Wednesday, he was let out without the collar on.

So now I am cycling between anger and embarrassment and hurt feelings and guilt and considering making everyone on our cul de sac and the next banana bread and leaving a note of apology and explanation.

But I am pretty sure that I know which neighbor it was because it would be just like him. And I am pretty sure that family washes their cars (and boat) enough to water a small nation. And I'm pretty sure that if there is ever a water reduction thing this summer, I will be watching them like hawks. And I'm also pretty sure their kids got in a fight one night and cops had to be called.

But whatever. My dog is definitely the problem.

(And I probably need to add bitter to that list of emotions I am cycling through.)

(And the people pleaser in me really feels the need to add that I have NOTHING against clean cars. I envy them. I long for them. I just have more to do these days than hand wash mine several times a week. But maybe I should. No judgement unless you are the neighbor who called. And then there is judgement and bitterness and anger and embarrassment and hurt feelings and guilt.)

So, needless to say, after I found out, the first thing I did was bring Tater-Totter in. (And can I say that at the vet, where we also board him on trips, he is a crowd favorite. They get SO excited when I call to make an appointment or reservation for him. He is a joy.) I guess he will have to be bored and get all of his energy out in here until I am done pouting.

(And ps, I really hope this post made everyone happy and no one mad. Heehee.)

(That's only a little true.)

1 comment:

  1. :( I'm sorry! I'm the same way about wanting to keep everyone happy --harmonizer 100% here. Your dog was just doing his job protecting the house!

    ReplyDelete