Monday, January 23, 2012

A Whole Dozen

Yesterday, Josh and I celebrated 12 years of wedded bliss. 12 years ago, 2 stupid, naive, in-love kids got married and started a journey that has included moves, jobs, kids, deaths, happy times, hard times and sometimes regular days. Sometimes we look at my wedding portrait and laugh at all the things we would warn our young selves about if we could. We were clueless.

Last night over dinner we listed some highlights of the last 12 years (not including kids because they are no brainer benefits to our union). I won't bore you with all of them, but I will share 2. When things are great and when things (pardon the expression) really suck, Josh and I seem to really stick together. Clinging and celebrating seem to be our stronger points. Not perfect. Not without the need for change or improvement. But when the going gets tough, we have really rallied together. And when there are milestones or moments to make much of--we're your guy! Birthdays are celebrated, Christmas is full of traditions, days off of school blown out . . . one thing we have said is that we would never want our kids to feel gypped individually because they have 3 siblings. We try to know and celebrate each of them.

Let me be the very first to say that we have SOOOOOOOO much to work on and SOOOOOOO many areas to grow in, but we are committed to doing it together. Even when it's hard. Even when we don't want to. Even if it kills us (you know, 'til DEATH do us part). Not all of my friends are so lucky to have a husband who feels the same way about marriage, so I do NOT take for granted how blessed I am.

Happy Anniversary, Josh. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment