Sunday, November 28, 2010

Happy Birthday, Granny

Today is my Granny's birthday . . . it is the first one she is celebrating in heaven and the first one we are experiencing without her. In light of the recent Thanksgiving holiday and how much I am missing her, I thought I would dedicate this post to her. I am so thankful for the 33 1/2 years I got to spend with her, though I would have relished 33 more.  She taught me so much and loved me even more. Granny was someone who got it . . . she knew that real wealth was found when you invest in people. And she gave away herself and her money and her time and her love. I am a richer person for it. Granny was fun, too. She loved a good joke and a good laugh. I am so thankful that she had a relationship with Caroline, Tru, Bo, and Sascha. They all adored her and she showered them with love and affection. They brought each other a lot of joy and the four of them cracked her up. There have been countless times since her death in May that I have wanted to call her to tell a story on one of them. There is a longing for eternity in all of us and I am so thankful that this life is not all there is. I cannot wait to see her again and hug her neck in a place where we will never again have to say goodbye. Happy Birthday, Granny. We miss you so much. Thanks for your love and legacy. We are better for having had you in our lives. I love you.

I've heard it said 

That people come into our lives for a reason

Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow 
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you:

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend:
Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you:

I have been changed for good

(From Wicked)

No comments:

Post a Comment